This Oracle ULA Glossary contains a list of the key terminology used in the ULA contracts. They are written in an alphabetical order for ease of reading.
Accelerated Certification Date
The Accelerated Certification Date is the preponed date of certification when the customer:
- Breaches any of the Unlimited Deployment Terms of the Oracle ULA.
- Gets acquired by another entity.
- The Certification Date is the date on which the customer has to submit the details of the ULA products installed before the end of the term of the ULA.
- The certification date is generally 30 days after the end of the ULA term
- The Certification Process is the set of actions to be taken on the certification date.
- The main activity is to submit the list of installations of the Oracle product.
The certification process also defines what can be certified and which installations cannot be certified.
The Certified Deployment is the number of licenses installed and certified by a C-level executive of the company.
Oracle will need to verify the numbers (either by discussion or by a formal audit). After verification, Oracle will grant perpetual license to the customer.
Converted and Replaced Licenses
- Converted and Replaced Licenses are the list of all the versions of the ULA products that had been procured by the customer before entering into the Unlimited License Agreement. These licenses are converted into the ULA product list.
- Oracle says that customers will not have the right to use these licenses & instead use only the licenses under the ULA. This has no material impact on usage (because these licenses are replaced by the same products in the ULA).
- Customers will need to continue to pay the support price they were paying for the Converted & Replaced Licenses.
- To sum up on the treatment of license & support for the converted & replaced licenses:
- The Converted & Replaced Licenses become null & void
- The support for converted & replaced will need to be continued to be paid.
- The Customer Definition Section defines the details of the legal entity(s) that can use the ULA programs. If there are subsidiaries or more than one entity, they will be listed under a separate exhibit. Reference to the exhibit will be made in the customer definition section.
- The customer definition will also provide details of the allowability of additional entities or re-organization in the customers legal structure.
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures are generally mentioned in separate sections.
- Unless mentioned otherwise, the Effective Date is the date when the term of the ULA begins.
- The Effective Date can be various of
- Being explicitly mentioned
- The date of signing the ULA ordering document
- If there are multiple dates of signature, then the last signed date of the customer signature.
- The Fees section defines the details of how the Technical Support Fees are calculated.
- This section also informs the details of any amounts of unused support that will be credited back to the customer.
License Definitions & Rules (LDR)
- The License Definitions & Rules can either be in the form of a booklet or a sub-set of the booklet.
- This document defines the license metrics and rules used by different Oracle products.
- The LDR can either be included as an exhibit or referenced through a hyperlink.
- The Omitted License section informs the customer that if any license procured earlier are (inadvertently) missed out and not listed in the Converted & Replaced Licenses, they will be added later.
- The customer is also informed that the support for the Omitted Licenses will need to be paid.
- The Ordered Programs informs which programs are for use in unlimited numbers.
- The section references the initial list of programs.
- This section informs the customer that the Software Update License & Support must be renewed annually.
- Generally, the annual fee is maintained at the same price during the term of the ULA. This is also mentioned in the Technical Support section of the Ordering Document.
- The section defines the geographic territories ( country names, worldwide, regions etc.) where the programs can be
Total Support Stream
- This section defines the meaning of the total support stream as the total of
- The existing support for the earlier procured licenses (this is the Converted & Replaced licenses)
- The support for the licenses procured under the ULA.
- Any future licenses procured because of mergers or acquisitions.
Unlimited Deployment Period
- The Unlimited Deployment Period is the period starting from the effective date of the order and the number of years (or months) that defines the end of the ULA term.
- This is the period during which the customer can deploy the programs included in the ULA.
Unlimited Deployment Right
- The Unlimited Deployment Right is the right given to the customer to deploy and use the included programs in an unlimited number (of the corresponding license metric) during the unlimited deployment period.
- This right gets terminated on the end of the ULA term.
Waiver of Extended Support Fees
- It is possible that some of the programs included in the ULA might move out of Premier Support and move into Extended Support.
- Generally, Extended Support is provided at an additional support fee.
- When the product is included in a ULA, Oracle waives the collection of the extended support fee during the term of the ULA.
We are not lawyers, so this Oracle ULA Glossary should not be taken as legal advise.
Do you want to know the steps for ULA Certification ? Read here
Apart from ULAs, Java is another very complex license management bugbear from Oracle. Go here if you want to learn about our Java License Analyzer and Java License Review services.
You might want to read more about our CEO Sheshagiri Anegondi (Sheshu). He is amongst the foremost Oracle License Experts globally. Contact him to understand the terms in the Oracle ULA Glossary in more detail.