This is the all you can eat option from Oracle. Pay an upfront fee to Oracle and use as much of the identified products for a fixed period of time. This licensing option, one of the most popular for Oracle customers, can be both beneficial and turn out to be very risky. Read on to understand the basics of the Oracle ULA.
Oracle Ula Services
Oracle Unlimited License Agreement Oracle ULA
WHAT IS AN ORACLE ULA ?
Unlimited License Agreement
- Specialized contract/agreement from Oracle.
- Defines a set of products that can be used.
- Defines a time period in which the products can be deployed.
- Allows for unlimited use of the set of products during the term of the agreement/contract.
BENEFITS OF AN ORACLE ULA
How does the ULA benefit a customer?
- One time deal, no need to worry about negotiations for additional licenses during the term of the agreement.
- Customers have the flexibility to install large number of licenses without needing to worry about immediate spends.
- Customers do not need to worry about license audits for the specified set of products during the term of the agreement.
RISKS IN AN ORACLE ULA
ULA Risks: Myth v/s Reality
We have heard Oracle sales people say that the ULA is without risks for the customer. This is not true.
- Oracle ULAs are written, like most contracts, to benefit the drafter of the contract.
- Oracle ULAs can be very expensive if potential future usage is not calculated correctly.
- Oracle ULAs can be very expensive if not utilized well.
- Oracle ULAs generally lead to complacent behavior leading to potentially very expensive compliance risks.
- Licensing during mergers and acquisitions can get complicated with an Oracle ULA.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
Best Practice Recommendations
- In case you are considering a ULA, get expert advise from an objective source. Do not depend only on the Oracle sales team or your internal technical experts alone.
- In case you have already signed a ULA, you should monitor usage constantly.
- Get an expert to vet the contractual terms so that risks are mitigated.