- I am not a lawyer, nor is this book a legal document.
- I do not represent Oracle. While I used to be employed at Oracle, currently I have no relationship with them.
- Yes, I do have a lot of respect for Oracle’s technology and admiration for some of their people as well.
- My independence helps me in bringing out the good and bad in Oracle’s licensing policies.
- I am a Software License Management consultant with an interest & some knowledge in the licensing of Open Source, Oracle, Microsoft, Engineering Software & products from a few other publishers.
This book tries to explain Oracle licensing without legalese. You should depend on Oracle’s official documentation available publicly or take advice from their sales & legal teams or your lawyer for correct interpretation of any licensing terms.
Expert practitioners of Oracle licensing might easily find this book inadequate. The licensing documents of Oracle are long, e.g., one of the database licensing manuals in Oracle’s website is 363 pages long; the middleware licensing manual is 2086 pages long. This is a short book and provides you with general Oracle licensing principles as well as the most commonly faced compliance issues. It also points you to the correct resources where you can obtain additional information.
Information in this book is borne out of research by me over the past couple of years from publicly available material. Most of them are cited in the research bibliography towards the end of the book. Some anecdotes are from my former life at Oracle as well as my current life as a Software Licensing consultant.
For more information, go to: https://rythium.com/oracle-license-management/